banner banner banner banner banner banner banner banner banner
Rick Sabine
Rick Sabine
5:30am - 10:00am
The More Music Morning Show
Request A Song
My Profile
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.
MG Kelly has the Amazing 80s on Saturday mornings from 8 to 10 on Classic Hits Y 107.3
Can you answer the Nearly Impossible Question? Listen weekday mornings at 7:15!
Play the Brain Strain and win weekday mornings at 8:40 on Classic Hits Y107.3
Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- Police are investigating the cause of an explosion on Wednesday at a dorm at Murray State University in Kentucky that injured at least one person, according to officials.

Authorities identified the victim as 26-year-old Dakota Fields, a residential director at the university, who was taken to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries. Fields was listed in stable condition as of late Wednesday.

There were no students in the dorm at the time of the incident, and a preliminary investigation indicated that everyone had been accounted for, officials said.

The explosion occurred at around 5 p.m. Wednesday at the university’s New Richmond College residential building in Murray, Kentucky, according to Murray State University police.

A portion of the building was destroyed, with the most severe damage occurring on the building's south side, university officials said.

A preliminary investigation indicates that the blast may have been caused by a gas leak, college officials said, but police are investigating to see if foul play may have been involved, according to Kentucky State Police, who have taken over the case.

"We're treating it as an explosion and investigating it as such, and we will make a determination during that investigation as whether foul play was involved or not," State Trooper Jody Cash told reporters Wednesday.

The university said all affected residential halls have been "searched and cleared,” and school officials directed people to stay away from the explosion site.

One witness who was standing at a gas pump across the street from Murray State when he heard the shock of the blast described the scene to ABC affiliate WSIL.

"I was frozen. I didn't know what to do. I didn't know what it was,” Marshall Tucker told the station on Wednesday. "I rushed over here and the gray cloud was going in the air. There was no EMS or cops on the scene at the time, and it was chaos."

There were only a few summer classes going on at the university on Wednesday, according to the school. Tucker said the area is usually packed with students.

"I’m grateful and thankful you know that this didn't happen six weeks later down the road when all the students got here,” Tucker said.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Subscribe To This Feed

Netflix(LOS ANGELES) -- Bella Herndon was a 15-year-old who loved to read and write and was earning straight As as a sophomore in high school.

Priscilla Chiu was also a high school sophomore described as “precocious” and “determined."

Both teenagers died by suicide in April. Their families say Bella and Priscilla both watched 13 Reasons Why, the controversial Netflix show about suicide, just days before taking their own lives.

“I didn't find out until the funeral,” John Herndon, of Livermore, California, told ABC News. “Bella's friends told me that three days before she hung herself she had finished watching this Netflix show 13 Reasons Why."

“The more I looked into it, the more appalled I was,” he said.

13 Reasons Why is based on a 2007 young adult novel of the same title. The 13-part serial, set in the San Francisco area, focuses on 17-year-old Hannah Baker, a high school student who takes her own life and leaves behind audio recordings for 13 people who she blamed for playing a part in her decision to kill herself.

Priscilla watched the show before she hanged herself in April, according to her uncle, Peter Chiu, with whom Priscilla lived in San Mateo. Chiu said Priscilla battled depression too.

“I feel it's dangerous for that small percentage of young adults who the show can become a trigger for them," Chiu, who declined to comment to ABC News, told local station KTVU-TV about 13 Reasons Why. "I feel as if the show gives only one alternative for cyberbullying and other teenage issues."

At the show's launch earlier this year, the producers, including pop star Selena Gomez, said their desire was to help teens.

"We wanted to do in a way where it was honest and we wanted to make something that can hopefully help people because suicide should never ever be an option," Gomez said.

Once the show aired, it faced backlash from parents, school officials and mental health advocates concerned that 13 Reasons Why could lead to a “copycat” effect of suicide. The National Association of School Psychologists cautioned that "vulnerable youth" not watch the series because they may "romanticize" the choices made by the characters.

Netflix announced in May it was strengthening existing warnings and introducing new ones to the show's viewers. The production team said they consulted with mental health professionals extensively while making the series and provide suicide prevention resources and information on crisis hotlines in more than 35 countries on the website

The new warnings came just as Netflix announced it greenlit 13 Reasons Why for a second season to debut next year.

Herndon believes the show acted as a “trigger” for Bella, who sought counseling for depression after being bullied in middle school. At the time of her death, Bella was thriving in high school, according to her dad, who called Bella's suicide a "shock."

“It created this perception that there's no way out, there's no alternative,” Herndon said of 13 Reasons Why, which he believes Bella watched on her iPad through the family’s Netflix account. “The [main character] looked to people and was turned away, and it created a series of events that led to a very black-and-white outcome, which was 'take your life.'”

Herndon said he is working with both his local congressman and an attorney to “open a conversation” with Netflix. He plans to ask the streaming service to pull the first season of 13 Reasons Why off Netflix and stop production on the show's second season.

He would also like to see Netflix take new measures to better inform parents of mature content accessible to kids.

“Parents would have to know about what this show has in terms of content in order to think about putting restrictions on it,” he said. “How do you stop something that you don't even know exists in the first place?”

Netflix told ABC News in a statement it was “mindful” of the “sensitive topics” covered in 13 Reasons Why.

“Our hearts go out to these families during this difficult time. We have heard from many viewers that '13 Reasons Why' has opened up a dialogue among parents, teens, schools and mental health advocates around the intense themes and difficult topics depicted in the show,” the statement reads. "In our approach, we were mindful the material covered sensitive topics, as the young adult novel did when it was published in 2007."

“We took extra precautions to alert viewers to the nature of the content, produced a 'Beyond the Reasons,' a special episode featuring the cast and creators discussing their experience in dealing with such sensitive themes, and created a global website to help people find local mental health resources,” it adds.

Child psychologist Janet Taylor said she applauds Gomez for addressing mental health issues on the show.

"I think we don't talk enough when things aren't going well," she said on ABC's Good Morning America in April. "I had one patient say, 'I have to be perfect because I'm so flawed.' Where did she get that?"

"We have to break the silence, talk to our parents, talk to counselors," she added. "If you have a family history of mental illness, be aware of it, talk to your children. If your child makes a threat about wanting to hurt themselves, take it seriously."

Chiu said he hopes producers, specifically Gomez, use the show's high profile to help its audience members who may be vulnerable.

“I would implore and beg Selena Gomez because she has a huge platform to please reach out to our kids and please tell them there are other options," he told KTVU-TV. "There are other resources out there. This is not a way out for you."

Herndon said he is not advocating a protest against Netflix, but hopes to honor Bella’s memory by pushing for suicide awareness.

“All I would ask is just as parents or teachers or just concerned citizens, I would just ask if this means anything to you at all and you feel strongly enough to reach out to Netflix in any way to express that, you have my utmost thanks,” he said. “I will do anything and everything I possibly can to make sure this doesn't happen to another family.”

If you are in crisis, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or contact the Crisis Text Line by texting TALK to 741-741.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(BOSTON) -- The father of 2-year-old Bella Bond, who was nicknamed "Baby Doe" after her unidentified body washed up on a Boston-area beach, spoke Wednesday at the sentencing for the man convicted of murdering his young daughter, saying, "I was robbed of my chance to be a father to Bella."

Bella's father, Joseph Amoroso, who never met his daughter, said in a victim impact statement, "Bella is the name I chose because it means beautiful, and that she was."

Amoroso called Bella a "gift from God" and described her as a "happy and innocent child, full of light." She was smart and learned things quickly, he said. Bella knew how to make pizza and she loved Hello Kitty, Amoroso said.

Amoroso added that he thinks Bella would have excelled in college, and he said he could imagine her being a "well-mannered" mother who loved children.

But Amoroso said on Wednesday that her life was cut short.

On Monday, Michael McCarthy was found guilty of second-degree murder in connection with Bella's 2015 death. McCarthy was dating Bella's mother, Rachelle Bond, at the time.

In June 2015, the girl's unidentified body, a zebra-print blanket and polka dot leggings were found on Deer Island, about eight miles east of Boston's Logan Airport. Computer composites used to identify the body were viewed by millions and the mystery surrounding the unknown victim captivated the country. In September 2015, Bella was finally identified, and McCarthy and Bond were arrested.

At the sentencing Wednesday, defense attorneys argued that McCarthy had at most a minor criminal record and that he had a hard life, suffering from drug addiction.

McCarthy was sentenced Wednesday to life in prison; the judge ruled that McCarthy should not be parole eligible for at least 20 years.

In 2015, after Bella was identified, Amoroso spoke to People, telling the outlet that he never met his daughter. According to People, Amoroso said he had struggled with drug addiction and was trying to “straighten [his] life out to be there for Bella” when he learned of her death.

“Unfortunately it was too late,” he said. “We all have issues.”

Amoroso said Wednesday, "No justice on earth fixes" his grief, adding, "Bella was, still is, and always will be in my heart and soul."

During McCarthy's trial, Bond testified that on the night Bella died, McCarthy went to the 2-year-old’s room to tell Bella to lay down. Five minutes later she returned to the room, where she witnessed McCarthy punching Bella in the stomach, she continued.

"I saw her bounce off the bed" and then fall back down, Bond told the jury.

She said Bella's "head was swollen and gray” and she tried to do CPR.

She testified that she picked Bella up to leave but McCarthy grabbed her by the throat with both hands and said he'd kill her.

Bond told the court she blacked out. When she woke up, she was on the couch in the living room.

She testified that she told McCarthy he had killed Bella. McCarthy replied, "It was her time to die, she was a demon," Bond said.

That night McCarthy injected Bond with heroin in her neck, and later brought her to his car, she said on the stand. She said a green duffel bag was in the backseat and she thought Bella was in the bag. She said McCarthy hit her on the head, and when she regained consciousness, she did not recognize where she was, and McCarthy and the bag were not in the car with her. McCarthy later returned to the car, she said.

Bond, who was charged as an accessory, pleaded guilty earlier this year in exchange for her testimony against McCarthy, ABC affiliate WCVB-TV reported in February. She is expected to serve probation for two years, according to the plea agreement.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Subscribe To This Feed

Terry Vine/J. Patrick Lane/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- Customs and Border Protection (CBP), the agency implementing the border-wall construction process, is planning for the construction of four to eight wall prototypes in San Diego "later this summer," said CBP Acting Deputy Commissioner Ronald Vitiello on Tuesday.

"We're leaning on industry to innovate and to use other materials to show us what they think is possible, doable and innovative for this purpose," Vitiello said.

CBP has entered phase two of the process and is currently reviewing and evaluating proposals for wall prototypes, but no contracts have been awarded yet. On March 17, CBP issued two separate requests for proposals from companies for wall prototypes -- one for "reinforced concrete" and one for "alternative materials."

"Although this acquisition is still underway, we plan to start building the prototypes in San Diego later this summer," Vitiello said.

A CBP draft briefing to Congress had previously stated June as an intended start date for prototype construction, but the Department of Homeland Security, which oversees CBP, has said "summer” in recent weeks.

Vitiello said it's currently "hard to nail down” an exact date to start construction.

President Donald Trump's January executive order on border security called for the "immediate construction of a physical wall on the southern border," a goal that the president reiterated throughout his campaign.

"Any and all prototypes will be designed to deter illegal entry into the United States,” Vitiello said.

Last week, Trump touted a solar-paneled border wall before a campaign crowd in Iowa, calling it “my idea.”

"And we're thinking of something that's unique. We're talking about the southern border -- lots of sun, lots of heat. We're thinking about building the wall as a solar wall so it creates energy and pays for itself,” Trump said to the cheering audience.

However, back in April -- when Department of Homeland Security was reviewing bids for the wall project -- at least one contractor, Gleason Partners LLC of Las Vegas, submitted a plan to use solar panels to cover sections of the wall.

Vitiello said he was "not aware" of any discussions with the White House about solar panels before the president’s remarks.

The president's statement "hasn’t impacted the planning in it of itself," said Vitiello, who pointed out that there are two distinct proposals  -- one for concrete and one for "not-concrete" --  so CBP expected "to have some innovation."

When the request for proposals went out, some of the companies put plans on their own websites, so CBP was aware that there were people out there who were thinking about a "wall that has solar panels on it," Vitiello said.

CBP is prevented from sharing information on the companies bidding for the wall project because of federal procurement rules.

Vitiello described the number of total bidders as a "substantial group," but said he did not know the specific number.

The primary purpose of this effort is to come up with "design standards" for the border wall that may be constructed along the southwest border, according to CBP.

The completion of the prototypes' construction is expected within 30 days of the issuance of notice to proceed, and final selection will take place after a "thorough review and evaluation."

For fiscal year 2017, Congress is providing funding for the replacement of 14 miles of primary barrier in San Diego, 2 miles in El Centro, 20 miles of vehicle barrier in El Paso, 4 miles of pedestrian barrier in El Paso and 35 new gates in the Rio Grande Valley area.

Rio Grande Valley has been an area of exploitation and an area lacking in border infrastructure, according to Vitiello.

For fiscal year 2018, CBP has prioritized 28 miles of new levee wall and 32 new miles of border wall in the Rio Grande Valley region, as well as 14 miles of replacement secondary wall in San Diego.

The section of the San Diego wall that CBP has identified for replacement has been breached "800 times in the last year," Vitiello said.

CBP has identified approximately 130 miles of border where a wall doesn't make sense to build, including areas with lakes, high mountains or other natural physical barriers.

However, the agency said it is prepared to make changes to its priorities as conditions on the ground evolve.

The prototypes, which will primarily serve as a design evaluation for the agency, will also create a new barrier in San Diego that did not previously exist. That area was chosen by CBP because it is government-owned property; is well-known to agents on the ground; and already has the roadways, lighting and sensor material that will need to be incorporated into design plans.

Trump has said that he will get Mexico to pay the U.S. back for the wall construction.

However, on Tuesday, Vitiello said he was "not aware" of any offers of financial help from Mexico for the border wall.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- Authorities in New York City are still searching for clues a year after a mysterious Central Park explosion left a Virginia teen badly injured.

The victim, Fairfax resident Connor Golden, now 19, was climbing rocks on July 3, 2016, with two friends near the entrance of the Central Park Zoo, authorities said at the time. When Golden jumped from the rocks, he landed on a bag of explosives, detonating the device.

A portion of Golden's left foot was badly mangled, leading to the amputation of his left leg below the kneecap.

The NYPD and U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) are still engaged in an "active and vigorous" investigation as they attempt to determine who left the homemade explosive device at the park, NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce said at a news conference at the park Wednesday afternoon.

Police believe the device was placed at the scene several days before the explosion, Boyce said.

Authorities are asking for the public's help with the investigation, appealing to those who visited Central Park in the days and weeks before the explosion to check to see whether any photos or videos they took could help move the case forward, according to Special Agent in Charge of the ATF New York Field Division Ashan Benedict.

"At any given time, people climb the rocks to get a better view of Central Park," Benedict said. "It could have been just about any visitor to Central Park that day."

Investigators have not yet identified any suspects or determined a motive, Boyce said, adding that police do not believe it to be a terrorist act.

A $40,000 reward has been offered for information leading to the arrest of the person or people responsible, Benedict said.

The device was made of a compound familiar to police because the materials are easily accessible and the instructions on how to make it are available online, NYPD Deputy Commissioner John Miller said.

The explosive was left about 50 feet from the main road on one of the most crowded weekends in Central Park, Miller said.

Golden returned home to Virginia more than three weeks after the incident.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(WASHINGTON) -- The final day of the Supreme Court’s term came and went with no retirement announcement. However, any forthcoming court departure would allow President Donald Trump to make his second court appointment to the nation’s highest court.

To help break down what might come next and the potential consequences, we reached out to Kate Shaw, an ABC News contributor and a Cardozo School of Law professor.

In the event of a retirement, would the justice leave the court immediately? Do we know?

KS: There’s no set practice in this regard: Sometimes a justice will announce a retirement that’s effective immediately; sometimes a justice will make retirement contingent on the confirmation of a successor (presumably to avoid leaving the court shorthanded in the event of a protracted confirmation process). So it’s really up to the individual justice.

So to review, Trump would again have his pick in terms of the nominee. Do we know who the president might select?

KS: We won’t know anything for sure until the president makes an announcement, but we have a pretty good idea of the pool he’ll be drawing from -- reportedly the same two lists he drew on when selecting Neil Gorsuch to fill Justice Antonin Scalia’s seat. So top contenders are expected to be Judge Thomas Hardiman, Judge William Pryor, Judge Steven Colloton, Judge Amul Thapar, Judge Raymond Kethledge and Judge Diane Sykes. That said, White House press secretary Sean Spicer suggested earlier this week that there might be new names in the mix -- potentially because the lists were assembled before the Senate rule change that eliminated the filibuster for Supreme Court nominees.

And can we expect a more conservative nominee selection now that confirmation would only require 51 votes?

KS: I do think there will be less concern about potentially controversial nominees this time around. Though Justice Gorsuch is certainly extremely conservative -- his early months on the court leave no real doubt about that -- his written record before joining the court was relatively free of controversial topics. Not so for some of the other names we've been hearing. Eleventh Circuit Judge William Pryor, for example, was a short-lister for the Scalia seat, and at that point, he was viewed as the most potentially divisive candidate in the pool -- for example, he’s called Roe v. Wade the “worst abomination of constitutional law in our history.” I think that's part of the reason he wasn't chosen. In the wake of the rule change, he (and others like him) could get a more serious look.

Let’s look at the possibility of an Anthony Kennedy retirement. There was speculation he could retire this year. How would that impact the ideological makeup of the court?

KS: There’s no question that this would be a massive development. Mitch McConnell successfully prevented President Barack Obama from cementing the court’s liberal majority when he refused to hold a hearing and then vote on Judge Merrick Garland, Obama’s nominee to fill the vacancy left by the death of Scalia. But the confirmation of Neil Gorsuch to fill the Scalia seat only restored the court to its 4-1-4 balance.

The retirement of Kennedy, by contrast, could have a profound effect on the law, if Trump replaced the court’s swing justice -- who in recent years was a reliable vote with the liberals on a number of social issues -- with a solid conservative.

One major area in which we could see transformational effect on the law is abortion. Justice Kennedy had a complicated relationship to abortion. He surprised court-watchers in 1992, in a case that many people thought spelled the end for Roe v. Wade; in that case, he joined with fellow Republican nominees Sandra Day O’Connor and David Souter to reaffirm Roe’s core holding. But then in 2007, he joined the conservatives in upholding a federal law prohibiting so-called “partial-birth abortion.” Then just last year he joined the liberals in a strong opinion striking down a restrictive Texas abortion law and again reaffirming Roe. So his most recent vote has been in favor of robust constitutional protections for abortion. A more conservative nominee -- certainly one like Judge Pryor, but really virtually everyone on the lists we’ve seen -- would likely vote to overturn or at least dramatically narrow Roe in the right case. So a lot of attention would shift to Chief Justice Roberts, who’s been a reliable vote against abortion but who also might worry about what a decision overturning Roe might do to the court’s standing and legitimacy.

Gay rights are another area in which Justice Kennedy leaves a very significant legacy. He’s the author of four hugely important cases on gay rights -- beginning in 1996, moving onto a landmark 2003 decision striking down state statutes that criminalized sex between adults of the same sex, and culminating in the 2015 decision declaring marriage equality the law of the land. I don’t think this area is as vulnerable as abortion -- a new majority could act to protect the rights of religious objectors to, say, participate in same-sex marriages, but I don’t think there’s much chance of these opinions being overturned outright. But it’s certainly not impossible.

The death penalty is another area in which Justice Kennedy sometimes voted against traditionally conservative positions. He authored an opinion finding that the death penalty couldn’t be imposed on individuals who committed their crimes as juveniles; he also wrote an opinion finding that the death penalty couldn’t be imposed for nonhomicide crimes, like the rape of a child. And he has expressed real doubts about the constitutionality of prolonged solitary confinement. A more conservative justice might be less inclined to favor these sorts of limitations.

Finally, his views on race seemed to shift somewhat in his last few years on the bench. He was once a strong opponent of affirmative action, for example, dissenting from a 2003 opinion allowing the University of Michigan Law School to consider race in its admissions process. But just last year, in the second trip to the court for Abigail Fisher, who challenged race-conscious admissions at the University of Texas, Kennedy authored the opinion affirming the constitutionality of the university’s program.

To be sure, Kennedy voted with the court’s conservative block in many cases -- two prominent examples are the court’s opinion striking down D.C.’s handgun ban in the Second Amendment case D.C. v. Heller, which he joined, and the landmark Citizens United opinion, which he authored. So his legacy is complex; but there’s no question that he has left a huge impact on the law.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- An influx of great white shark sightings has residents and tourists worried about potential encounters in the water, especially during the heart of summer.

Senior Fisheries Biologist Dr. Greg Skomal told ABC News the increase in the great white shark population off the Massachusetts coastline is correlated to the gray seal population and that numbers are expected to rise even further.

"We've been studying sharks off the coast of Massachusetts for 30 years and our work with white sharks off Cape Cod is relatively recent," Dr. Skomal said. "The numbers we're seeing on a relative scale are increasing, in 2014 we counted 80 individuals over the course of the summer and just last summer that went up to about 147. So there is a general increasing trend as more and more sharks recruit to the area."

This season at least six great white shark sightings have already been reported, including a recent sighting off Wellfleet on May 9.

The National Park Service for Cape Cod has issued alerts to heed advisories at beaches to help ensure safety "particularly regarding white sharks."

Skomal believes the influx of sharks is a direct result of the growing seal population.

"We think it's highly correlated with the growing presence of gray seals in the area. Big white sharks like to feed on gray seals," he said. "Over the course of the last 45 years, the gray seal population is a conservation success story. It has rebounded after protection was put in place in 1972 and that rebounding population now has reached levels that could be an excess of 20 to 30,000 animals in the area and white sharks are drawn to those areas to feed on them."

Awareness and education are key tactics to protect the public as well as the animals. Research from the Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries, Atlantic White Shark Conservancy and the National Parks Service about the biology and behavior of these sharks has helped inform seashore staff and beachgoers about best practices to stay safe.

"When you've got large numbers of sharks, the prey they feed on [seals] and people in the water, the potential of an interaction is there," Skomal said. "You want the people to be aware of it and that's really what our goal is. Collect the kinds of data to inform the towns so they can enhance public safety."

The National Park Service has an entire page dedicated to shark safety and includes what to do if you see a shark whether a lifeguard is on duty or not. There is even an app to report sightings.

And although encounters have become more common, Skomal explained that attacks are extremely rare.

"A silhouetted seal at the surface might look like a swimmer or vice versa, and what happens is the shark will do a test bite or attack the swimmer thinking it's a seal," Skomal said.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- Transit officials said human error, not a track defect, is to blame for a subway train derailment in New York City on Tuesday morning that injured nearly three dozen people and caused major delays.

The incident occurred just before 10 a.m. ET Tuesday as a southbound A train approached the 125th Street station in Harlem. The eight-car train suddenly came to a grinding halt just 200 feet from the station, causing the train to jerk violently and toss passengers to the floor. Two of the train's cars derailed and scraped the side of the subway tunnel, according to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

That A train was evacuated, as were three other trains in the same tunnel.

A preliminary investigation indicates the derailment was caused by "an improperly secured piece of replacement rail that was stored on the tracks," Metropolitan Transportation Authority chairman Joe Lhota and interim executive director Ronnie Hakim said in a joint statement late Tuesday night.

"Storing equipment in between tracks is a common practice employed by railroads across the country to accelerate rail repairs," Lhota and Hakin said in the joint statement. "The key to this being an effective and safe practice is making sure that the extra equipment is properly bolted down, which does not appear to have happened in this case."

New York City Transit crews are inspecting "every inch of rail to ensure that each and every replacement part is properly stored and secured," Lhota and Hakin said, adding that the investigation is ongoing.

At least 34 people were injured in the incident, according to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Lhota said most of the injuries involved smoke inhalation and none were life-threatening. The smoke was caused by sparks and the garbage and sanitation along the subway tracks.

The incident, described by the New York City Emergency Management Department as a partial derailment, also triggered a power outage affecting all six tracks from West 119th Street to West 125th Street.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Subscribe To This Feed

Joe Raedle/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- An investigation has been opened by authorities after two railroad employees were killed Tuesday night after being struck by an Amtrak train as it approached Union Station in Washington, D.C.

The victims were employees of CSX Transportation, the railroad company confirmed. They have not yet been identified.

Both Amtrak and the National Transportation Safety Board are investigating the incident.

"Our thoughts are with the families and friends of our employees," CSX Transportation said in a statement Wednesday morning. "CSX management representatives responded to the scene to assist with the investigation of this tragic incident. At this time the names of the involved employees are being withheld out of respect for the privacy of their families."

Officials said the incident occurred while Amtrak Train 175, heading from Boston to New York, was approaching Washington Union Station at about 11:18 p.m. ET on Tuesday. The two CSX workers were struck on the railroad tracks near the intersection of 9th Street and New York Avenue Northeast. There were no injuries to the train's crew or the 121 passengers on board.

"Circumstances of the incident are under investigation. Amtrak will work with the D.C. Metropolitan Police Department and others to review the incident," Amtrak said in a statement Wednesday morning. "Amtrak was particularly saddened that incident involved fellow railroaders employed by CSX."

Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari initially had said the two people struck appeared to be trespassing in the area.

The company said it is working with D.C. Metropolitan Police Department and others to review the incident. Amtrak service is expected to be restored by mid-morning Wednesday.

The deaths of the two people struck were also confirmed by D.C. Fire and EMS on Twitter.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Subscribe To This Feed

Mike L. Baird/Getty(HOUSTON) -- Animal rescue workers in Houston seized dozens of venomous tarantulas and scorpions from a Houston apartment on Tuesday after their owner abandoned them, according to police.

The Houston Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) seized 69 animals, including more than 50 baby scorpions and three dead tarantulas, from the vacant apartment after a maintenance worker discovered them stuffed in shoe boxes and plastic containers, according to ABC affiliate KTRK.

Managers at the apartment complex told police that they were planning to evict the tenant for failing to pay rent, but he abandoned the dwelling before they could serve him with eviction papers, KTRK reports.

Investigators said the apartment will be treated by an exterminator before it's rented out again just in case any of the animals had escaped.

All but one of the animals are considered venomous, according to Houston SPCA officials, who estimated that the animals had gone without food for at least several weeks.

One investigator said the animal count could rise, noting that tarantulas tend to hide below the surface of their container’s filler material.

“This is my first one of this nature,” Harris County Precinct 1 Constable Sgt. Christine Kendrick told KTRK. “Sometimes you may see one or two along with other animals… but apparently, this was his thing.”

She said most of the animals were unlikely to harm humans unless they're provoked.

"Unless you hurt them, they don't bite. They've got to be in fear," Kendrick said.

ABC Breaking News | Latest News Videos

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Subscribe To This Feed

The Lakeland Police Department(LAKELAND, Fla.) -- A Florida man who police say was trying to help a missing toddler locate her parents over the weekend ended up beaten and shamed on social media by the child's family after they mistook him for a kidnapper, according to a report.

The "good Samaritan," who was not identified by authorities, was attempting to help a 2-year-old who had become separated from her parents while attending a baseball game at the Southwest Sports Complex in Lakeland, Florida on Saturday -- but her parents "feared that the citizen was attempting to kidnap the child," the Lakeland Police Department said in a statement Tuesday.

"At least one independent witness stated they observed the citizen walking with the child trying to help find her parents,” police said. “The parents were alerted by bystanders that the citizen was walking towards a playground, which is near the parking lot, and feared that the citizen was attempting to kidnap the child. This was not the case.”

The police department said it “thoroughly investigated” the incident and concluded that no crime was committed.

The man, however, ended up being attacked by the child’s father, who admitted to punching him repeatedly, according to ABC affiliate WFTS-TV.

"When I got there, I just swung on him," the father told WFTS. He acknowledged that he really didn't know if the "stranger" was looking to kidnap his daughter or not, but he said he doesn’t regret assaulting him.

"You don't pick somebody's kid up in that direction, towards the parking lot, whether you were going towards the parking lot or not," the toddler's father said.

The "good Samaritan," who police identified as a father and a local businessman, was also targeted in a social media smearing campaign, according to WLS-TV. The station reports that the toddler’s family had posted the man's name, photo and place of employment online, referring to him as a child predator.

The man has reportedly opted against pressing charges against the family.

The Lakeland Police Department did not confirm assault allegations, but it appeared to use the incident to educate the public about the dangers of posting or sharing inaccurate information on Facebook.

“Accounts of this incident have circulated on social media with false information and speculation,” the department said in its statement Tuesday. “Be careful about what you post on social media so as not to victimize an innocent person.”

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(LOS ANGELES) -- The Big Bang Theory star Johnny Galecki lost his ranch on California's Central Coast on Monday, his publicist confirmed, when a massive wildfire torched nearly 1,600 acres of land in the area.

Galecki’s home in San Luis Obispo County, California reportedly burned down in the wildfire that has grown to 2.5 square miles since it began on Monday afternoon, according to a report from TMZ that was later confirmed by the actor’s representative.

Galecki expressed his condolences for other victims of the fire while speaking in an interview with TMZ on Tuesday.

"My heart goes out to all in the area who are also experiencing loss from this vicious fire, the threat of which we live with constantly -- which may seem crazy to some, but we do so because living in our beautiful, rural area makes it worthwhile," Galecki said.

Galecki, who also appeared in the hit 1990s sitcom Roseanne, said he hopes to "reach out and rebuild" the community at some point in the future.

"It's never the structures that create a community -- it's the people. And if the people of Santa Margarita have taught me anything it's that, once the smoke has cleared, literally and figuratively, it's a time to reach out and rebuild," he told TMZ. "We've done it before, and will need to do it together again, and it will make our community even closer and stronger."

The wildfire, dubbed the Hill Fire, was 60 percent contained as of late Tuesday, according to fire officials, who said evacuation orders would be lifted for "residents only" at 7 p.m. local time.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(HUNTSVILLE, Ala.) -- Movements were restricted Tuesday afternoon at the Redstone Arsenal, an Army base in Huntsville, Alabama, as authorities investigated morning reports of an active shooter.

Redstone Arsenal Col. Tom Holliday confirmed Tuesday afternoon that there was no active shooter on the scene. There were no casualties in the incident as well, he said.

Around 9:40 a.m., authorities received two 911 calls about a potential active shooter in the Sparkman Center building, Holliday said. The callers reported hearing shots fired and seeing a weapon, but those reports were not credible, Holiday said.

Normal operations resumed at 12:50 p.m. after investigators determined that the incident was an isolated event at the Sparkman Center, Holliday said. The complex had been cleared by 2:15 p.m.

There is no evidence that shots were actually fired, authorities said.

Redstone spokesman Christopher Colster told reporters earlier Tuesday that there was nothing to indicate a terrorist event.

Redstone said in a statement, "The installation was in lock-down mode with all gates closed, and employees sheltered in place at their respective buildings. As of 12:30 p.m., employees can move about the post in an orderly fashion, but are asked to keep movements limited, as needed."

Redstone said Tuesday afternoon that the "Sparkman complex and intersections in and around Martin road remain in a lock down status" while "the remainder of the installation is open for normal traffic."

Redstone said the incident is under investigation, adding, "The safety and security of our workforce remains our top priority."

Col. Rich Spiegel, a spokesman for Army Materiel Command said, “The director of emergency services has responded with local and federal authorities."

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(CHICAGO) -- Three "current or former" Chicago police officers have been indicted on state felony charges related to the 2014 death of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald, according to officials.

The police officers were indicted for allegedly engaging in a conspiracy in an attempt to prevent or shape the independent criminal investigation into McDonald's police-involved shooting death, according to a release from Special Prosecutor Patricia Brown Holmes.

Det. David March, 58, and patrol Officers Joseph Walsh 48, and Thomas Gaffney, 43 were each charged with conspiracy, official misconduct and obstruction of justice, according to court documents filed in Cook County, Illinois on Tuesday.

“The indictment makes clear that these defendants did more than merely obey an unofficial ‘code of silence,’ rather it alleges that they lied about what occurred to prevent independent criminal investigators from learning the truth,” Holmes said.

March, Walsh, Gaffney and others allegedly conspired in the "critical early hours and days" following the shooter "to conceal the true facts of the events surrounding" McDonald's death "to shield their fellow officer...from criminal investigation and prosecution," the indictment states.

Prosecutors also accuse the officers of coordinating their activities to protect each other and other members of the department by furnishing false information, making false police reports, failing to report or correct false information, ignoring contrary information or evidence, obstructing justice, failing to perform a mandatory duty and performing acts each knew he was forbidden to perfect.

The indictment also alleges that the officers failed to locate, identify and interview at least three witnesses whose information was inconsistent to accounts given by members of the police department.

March is a police veteran of more than 30 years, and Walsh and Gaffney have both been with the police department for about 20 years, according to the release. All three officers are expected to been arraigned on July 10.

ABC News could not immediately reach March, Walsh and Gaffney for comment. It is unclear if they have retained attorneys.

Their status with the department was not clear.

McDonald was shot 16 times in October 2014 by Chicago Police Officer Jason Van Dyke. Holmes was appointed by Cook County Judge LeRoy K. Martin, Jr. last year to investigate whether charges should be filed in McDonald's death.

Police dash cam footage showed that McDonald was armed with a knife but not moving toward the responding officers when he was shot. The release of the footage in November 2015 caused nation-wide protests.

Van Dyke is awaiting trial and has pleaded not guilty.

A grand jury investigation into the case is continuing, Holmes said. The Fraternal Order of Police did not immediately return ABC News' request for comment.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- Federal authorities are investigating a breach into computer systems of at least one U.S. nuclear power plant, sources familiar with the matter tell ABC News.

There is no evidence that any particularly sensitive or operational systems were breached. Instead, authorities believe only a less sensitive, business-associated side of systems were compromised.

The breach was first reported by E&E News, which covers the energy and environment sectors.

E&E notes that the hack did not garner the attention of the public safety alert systems at the Nuclear Regulatory Commission or the International Atomic Energy Agency, which could be further evidence of a low risk level associated with the breach.

One U.S. official called this an "ongoing matter" that is still being investigated. No public word has been given on who may be responsible, but authorities are looking at the possibility that a nation-state may be behind the hack.

It's unclear if the case is related in any way to other known cyberattacks.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Recent Tracks
Loading ...


Tune In Deals

Lost & Found Pets

Community Involvement
  • A Shelly Company employee talking about giving back to the community. A Shelly Company employee talking about giving back to the community.
LinkedUpRadio Envisionwise Web Services